THE SITE OF MEHER BABA'S TOMB
The pit was made permanent with stone and masonry work. Small steps were built leading down into the pit, which was then covered by wooden planks. Later, the tin walls were replaced by cemented stone and two more windows were added. The windows to the west and north overlooked the playground of Meher Ashram. In front of the window on the eastern side, a platform was built for the students and visitors to sit on while Baba discoursed. Wire netting was fixed on all the windows.
From August 16th, 1927, Baba began staying in this cabin-like crypt which the mandali would refer to as the Khadda the Ditch or Pit-Room. Baba was planning to spend a number of months in seclusion there. Only years later did the mandali learn that this Pit-Room or Crypt was to be the site of Meher Baba's Tomb.
LORD MEHER, 1st ed, Vol. 3, p. 956
1988 © Avatar Meher Baba Perpetual Public Charitable Trust