Judy Stephens

Meherabad, 1952


9 to 15 December 2008

Jai Meher Baba to you all!

I returned to India in the early morning hours of the 9th December. I had a car waiting for me in the warm night air. I had so much enjoyed the cold weather in the States, now I was back to the hotter climate of India.

We drove straight to Pune, where I bought vegetables and other kinds of food. Since I was very eager to get home to Meherabad, we hit the road. We went to Beloved Baba's Samadhi first. How exciting it was for my heart to see His tomb once again. The feeling inside the Tomb was so embracing and wonderful. It felt so good to be able to bow down at His feet! Home! I was home!

I then went to the house I am helping the owners get built. There were watchmen around the clock to keep the house safe while I was away. Now that I'm back I can oversee the continuation of work. The laying of electrical cables, as well as much of the paper work had been done while I was away. Once the electricity is connected it will allow the other work to go forward.

I was so happy to finally reach my room. I always unpack first thing. I have a need to have things in their proper place for me to function effectively.

Wednesday 10 December. I went up the hill early, as I love to do. After taking Darshan at Beloved Baba's Samadhi, I took Darshan in His Cabin Room. Then I went to the Gadi under the Tin Shed. To my surprise, there was now a railing around three sides of it. The railing was made with such beautiful taste that I was sure Ted Judson had it made. Ted has designed and built many buildings at Meherabad, including the Meher Pilgrim Retreat.

Thursday 11 December. I drove Marge and I to Meherazad. It was so pleasant to see Meheru and Katie again. I also quietly went into Arnavaz room. She was asleep and visitors had not been allowed in. I only quietly whispered Jai Baba and silently left the room. I only wanted to see her, as she had not been well for some time.

Marge and I than went to the DSP (Dept. of Superintendent of police). As foreigners, we must have all our passport and visa work done with the local police. I had to check in, as I had just returned from the States. We then went to have a delicious lunch at a place called Yash & Jali. They have many good meat dishes. We said hi to other residents and pilgrims who were also having lunch there.

Friday 12 December. I took photos of the ambulance's new garage being built next to our Meher Hospital. I also took photos of the wall being built around the Saints tomb. And, I next walked up the hill and took photos of the railing around the Gadi under the Tin Shed. I have since sent these to Dina Snow.

In the afternoon, Bhauji gave a talk at the MPC Hall at 4:30 pm. Tea and snack were served before the talk at 4:00 pm. At sundown the Dhuni was lit. I had been at Meher Darbar having some Xerox copies of paper work made. As I was getting ready to drive home, a pilgrim asked for a ride to the Dhuni. It was then I realized I had totally forgotten about the Dhuni! I dropped the pilgrim off and drove home to leave the car, get my flashlight and walk back to the Dhuni. I got there just as Arti was being said. So, I took my Darshan after the Dhuni was over—but I had no stick to throw into the Dhuni as they had already been taken away.

In the evening, Peter Booth showed a Baba film in the MPR Dining Hall.

Saturday 13 December. I was up the hill by the time the Samadhi doors were open at 5:30 am. I just love being there at that time—only a few workers and once in a while a few pilgrims are there. After taking Darshan, I went to Baba's Cabin Room to clean it. I then put flowers on the Gadi and Samadhi threshold before going down the hill to clean the Jhopdi.

In the later part of the morning, I had a meeting with the contractor, Sharad, to settle the construction bill. The bill covered only from when I became involved six months ago. I still have to have him account for all the money he took from the owners and never gave a receipt for a single rupee during all those years before I started to help out.

In the afternoon, there was a program in our Music and Arts Center at 4:30 pm. First tea and a snack were served on the verandah at 4:00 pm.

Sunday 14 December. I went up the hill to the Samadhi in the early morning hours. It stays dark much later now, so I have to walk with a flashlight. But, I love walking up the hill when almost no one is around. It is so quiet and restful all the way up the hill, kind of like paradise. My heart feels so happy looking at the trees Mehera and the other women Mandali had planted to give Baba shade. I actually sometimes stop and talk to the trees, telling them how fortunate they are to have given God Himself comfort.

I went to Meherazad without Virginia, as she was still weak from a flu she had for a month. Being by myself, I was able to spend more time in Baba's room. I usually have Virginia sit in His room for a few minutes only, then into Mehera's room for around five minutes. Before having her go into Mandali Hall for the program.

Monday 15 December. I went up to the Samadhi early to take Darshan. Then, I got ready for my first day back on duty at the MPR. I picked up Fereshteh on the way. I would have loved to go to morning Arti in the morning because it was Mani's birthday. Her shrine was covered with such a beautiful cloth, and Mani wrote all the songs that were sung. Or they were songs about her love for her 'God Brother'. It is hard to have to miss something so special, because the energy has an extra joyous feeling to it. But, I had to get ready, and it takes me time.

It was very pleasant at the MPR, but also a very busy day. The weather was cool in the morning. Most people are wearing hats and jackets in the mornings and evenings. Then in the afternoon it warms up.

In Beloved Baba's sweet love, Judy

 Back | Anthology | Main Page Norway | AvatarMeherBaba USA | HeartMind | Search